Meyer Lemon Hummus
Try something new this year and make your own hummus. Made from five simple ingredients, its name in Arabic literally translates to "chickpeas." These cream-colored beans are full of protein and rich in fiber. A whole Meyer Lemon provides cancer fighting Phytochemicals such as flavonoids, polyphenols, terpenes. Tahini is ground sesame seed paste that adds creaminess and a distinctive nutty flavor. Hummus can be served with pita bread or used as a dip for raw veggies like carrots, celery and bell pepper slices.
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 64
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 8g
Saturated Fat 1g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrates 18g
Dietary Fiber 2g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 2 (15-oz.) cans no-salt-added chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 whole Meyer Lemon
- 5 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. reserved chickpea liquid
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Paprika or parsley sprigs for garnish, optional
- Cut Meyer Lemon into quarters and remove any seeds
- Add the whole slices, including the skin, into a food processor and blend until smooth
- Place all other ingredients, except for salt and optional garnish, into food processor.
- Process until mixture is coarsely pureed.
- Ad salt to taste.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- Garnish with a dash of paprika or parsley sprigs
- Citrus fruit peels contain Terpenes that may protect cells from becoming cancerous, slow cancer cell growth, strengthen immune function, limit production of cancer-related hormones, fight viruses, work as antioxidants. Terpenes are one of thousands of Phytochemicals, which are naturally occurring plant chemicals (phyto means plant in Greek). They provide plants with color, odor and flavor. Once we eat them, however, research shows they can influence the chemical processes inside our bodies in helpful ways.
- Find more cancer fighting healthy recipes at https://www.aicr.org/healthyrecipes/
Mountain View Fruit https://mvfruit.com/